Covid-19 Update: Mayor Tom Tate fills us on on the measures the City is taking to contain the virus. Listen to his latest update, including election information, and the need for people to keep donating blood.
Due to the evolving Novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, the City has made further changes to our services.
Playground equipment, BBQs and outdoor gym equipment
- The City’s 600 playgrounds, 389 barbecues and 347 pieces of gym equipment will be closed until further notice.
- Signage will be installed over the next 5 days.
- The City will not take any park bookings for at least two months.
- City Community Centres will close from midnight tonight except for the delivery of essential education, health and social services.
Free Tree scheme
- The City’s free tree scheme will be suspended.
Hazard Reduction Burn Program
- The bushfire hazard reduction burn program will be temporarily suspended and reassessed in eight weeks.
- This is due to the risk that smoke generated may cause health issues for those effected by respiratory issues which may be exacerbated by the COVID-19 virus.
- The efforts during this period will go into mechanical vegetation works along the boundary between houses and bushland in areas considered the highest priority by Queensland Fire and Emergency Services.
Waste and Recycling Centres (WRC)
- Our Waste and Recycling Centres remain open at this stage. We are increasing social distancing measures.
- Only every second customer parking bay will be available. This may increase waiting times. Customers please only attend Waste and Recycling Centres if absolutely necessary. Thank you for your patience.
- Tourist parks remain open for essential travel only (excluding South Stradbroke Island camping which is closed)
- All non-essential travellers have been requested to cancel their bookings in line with the Federal and State Government requirements. This includes Easter school holidays.
- All Tourist Parks public amenities have required provisions in place.
- Tipplers Café is take-away only.
HOPO ferry service
- HOPO ferry service is temporarily closed for the safety and wellbeing of staff and guests. This will be reassessed every 14 days.
Covid-19 Update: Mayor Tom Tate would also like to direct you to all of the City updates and impacts, here.
Want to escape for a bit? Then check this out, below!